Friday 28 September 2007

Simply why?

Anyone who knows me well will be aware that from a right young age I've been fascinated by the world with all its various countries and cultures - since friends moved to South Africa when I was about 8 years old (I was quite cute then!) I've wanted to go to Africa - my Mum & Sister both had to put up with piles of library books about the Continent stacked in my room (usually running up fines - good job you worked at the library back then eh Mum!) and writing slightly dubious poetry about sunsets and setting foot on African soil :-) It didn't just stop with Africa, from the first time I went Inter railing around Europe as a teenager I've wanted to travel. Mix all that with a passion for looking after the planet and using our time here on earth wisely, with a sense of adventure and a desire to keep the challenges coming....and I think you've probably got the makings of how this trip started life.

Often people build a trip around a list of countries they want to visit - for me it was about a bunch of things I wanted to do.
1) See how possible it is to travel the world without leaving too big a carbon footprint
2) Let the journey be the experience not just the A to B
3) Do some volunteer work but holding to the principle of "I can't build a house in England so what makes me think I can build one in Africa"
4) Learn how to make wine
5) Oh and the small matter of figuring out what the next phase of my life should look like :-)

So the plan is simple: Leave London Waterloo like every other day, but rather than ending up in hounslow end up in Australia without taking a flight...... for those who are now grabbing the atlas to confirm they are not going mad but there is water between here and down under... methods of transport will include trains, buses, feet and freight ship... Make the most of Ausie friends contacts spending time in the Barossa valley attempting to learn something about wine. Then take the first of 2 flights over to South Africa to travel up through Mozambique to Tanzania where I'll then be volunteering for 3 months in a centre for women teaching a bit of IT skills and some aspects of setting up a small business...bit of marketing maybe?! From then the plan is a bit less defined suffice to say 1 more flight to Morocco avoiding all the scary war torn central African countries and then train and boat back to the UK. Easy!

When does it all begin - train departs London Waterloo 18:11 friday 12th October..... keep in touch xx

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Have a stunning time Rhian. Also if you could try to come back that would be much appreciated :)

Anne & Marc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne & Marc said...

(sorry about that--new to blogger) What a trip! Best wishes! We'll be thinking of you often! You've always got a place to crash here in Augusta should you happen by this way. Love,
Anne, Marc & baby Rachel

Unknown said...

Hi Rhian,

Go girl!! I remember so clearly you dreaming about this trip whilst we were in South Africa last year - and now you've made those dreams a reality - good on you!! Some people dream and others make things happen..... I'm really proud of you for falling into the latter category. You must be really excited.

I'm back to South Africa myself on Wednesday, so I'm just dusting the covers off my old blog. Perhaps we can meet up whilst you work your way up the coast. I could be very tempted to join you for the Mozambique leg. That's a long way off as yet, but do stay in touch. I can't wait to hear all about your adventures. Do you remember my favorite quote of last year.....? "Life should not be measured by the numbers of breaths you take, but by the number of moments you are left breathless".

So here's to lots of breathless moments and a rendezvous next year.

Have fun!!

Love

Kate Nelson
www.getjealous.com/katenelson

Caroline Hodgson said...

Hi Rhian,
Best of luck with the travels. If you decide to take another flight come over and visit me and Andrew in Christchurch, New Zealand. You are always welcome.
Lots of love CAROLINE :-)

Mr Smash said...

Good Luck Ma'am, may The Force be with you and all that.

Love Smash.

Barrie said...

Don't miss your first train!!
bon voyage .... barrie

Heather said...

Hi your travels sound more exciting than flood threats on east coast. You Johns sisters like to hit the headlines.Luv John & heather

Unknown said...

Hey Rhian - Sue and Ron checking in to the blog. Great to read the update - keep it coming and we'll send the resturant details through ..hopefully before you land in Australia.
Lots of Love Sue & Ron T