Friday 25 January 2008

They say things happen in threes....

Malaysia is definitely a beautiful country, rich with jungles, tea plantations, strawberry farms and even the motorways are bordered with trees and blooming flowers.

I could tell you all about the beauty - the amazing trek through the jungle in search of the elusive rafflesia flower, which we did find; its only in flower 3 weeks a year and hides deep in the jungle, mind at a metre wide its worth the walk! -the BOH tea plantation with its traditional methods of growing, harvesting and producing Malaysia's top brand - The full moon in the sky above the Cameron Highlands stunningly illuminated by a mighty lightening storm and glistening with 5 different coloured rings circling it - The man made wonder which is the Kuala Lumpur skyline - and the Dutch/Chinese/british influenced architecture of Melaka....

...However, Malaysia for me more than anything has been a string of accidents: First I got hit by a bus (no laughing please!) resulting in a rather nasty bruised left arm (actually I'm very lucky it wasn't broken) Second I slipped in the bathroom and went flying across the hotel room landing on my right knee (also now sore and bruised!) Third I had a bit of a fall resulting in my left ankle being bandaged up (and no walking for 3 days), an infection in my left leg and I now have one less toe nail than previous.... so all in all I crossed the boarder into Singapore happy to be leaving but looking rather less fit than when I'd arrived in Malaysia 10 days ago!

For those who enjoy lists - here are my top Malaysia spots:
1) Proton cars & car dealerships are two a penny
2) Tesco is everywhere
3) A pint of ale costs a rather off putting three pounds eighty three pence!
4) Buddha is never alone, there are always multiples, usually thousands plus plus
5) Buses are always full of random packages
6) English football is on every TV screen
7) All vehicles are potential death traps!

4 comments:

Paul Boag said...

With each post it is looking less and less likely any of us are ever going to see you again!

Rhian Johns said...

haha... rest assured, i'll be back!!

Unknown said...

The accidents sound horrible. I do read your 'blog'. Get yourself fit and well and then keep going i'm incredibly proud of you.

Australia next.

Love
Mum xx

Mark Weavers said...

I couldn't agree more with your observation about Malaysian vehicles! Do you remember the story Maddy and I told you about our journey from KL to the Cameron H'lands? Possibly the single scariest, roach-infested, 20-marlboros-NOW-inducing, nightmare of a journey I've ever had! No actually, it was worse than that. Now you share the memory I can never forget!!!